Imagine and design solutions to challenging questions posed at the Maker Space. Make your creation from a range of materials provided and test out your design. Share your thinking with others and build on each other’s ideas.
9:40am – 5pm
Shake it up
4 April 2019 – 23 June 2019
Can your structure survive the power of an earthquake?
Make and test your custom-built designs to see if they survive the destructive force of the quake.
This activity invites visitors to follow a design process. Below are some of the questions that will help our visitors at each stage of the process.
Think of some solutions
- What sort of structures might need to withstand an earthquake?
- How does the earthquake simulator move and how might this move your structure?
- Is it better for your structure to be light or heavy, strong, rigid or flexible, or a mixture?
- What are some real world examples that you have seen before?
- What ideas do you have for a design?
Make a prototype
- What materials could you use to build your structure?
- What are the properties of the different materials?
- What part of your design are you finding tricky to build?
Test it out
- Shake our earthquake simulators and test out your design.
- What did you observe during testing?
- What part of your design worked really well?
Improve your design
- How could you improve on your design?
- Does your design work for stronger earthquakes where there is more shake?
- Can you add additional floors/height onto your structure and still have it survive the power of the earthquake?
Can you cross it?
17 December 2018 – 3 April 2019
Moving something across town, over the river, up the mountain or across the valley takes some thought. Build a structure to help move something light or heavy between two parts of the landscape. Consider materials, strong shapes and the size and weight of your object. Your landscape can be made using boxes or furniture and have parts that are of different heights and different width spans.
Zip to it
17 September 2018 – 16 December 2018
This tricky terrain is a breeze if you slide or roll down a zip line. Make a device that transports a person or object safely along a zip line. Zip lines can be made from different types of thread, cord or line, set up at different angles and have different lengths.